Rowing machines are the best option to work resistance, strength, and cardio without leaving the house. If you like sports and hate going to the gym when it’s cold, rowing is the complete physical activity. And not only that, but you will also consume calories without even realizing it. Also, you will perform a healthy and very fun activity.
Nowadays, rowing machines are in fashion thanks to “Indoor Rowing,” rowing machines in gyms. This modality even holds competitions in various countries. Home rowing machines, by contrast, are geared toward home fitness. And they are the most complete! Keep reading, and you will see.
The most important features:
- Rowing machines are also professionally known as ergometers or rowing machines. With them, you can work practically all your muscles without impacting the joints.
- Apparatus are currently classified by their resistance flywheels and can be hydraulic, air, water, or magnetic.
- Most modern rowing machines are usually magnetic. New technologies have also broken into rowing machines, which include new advances every day.
10 Best Rowing Machines For Heavy Person-2020 Reviews
We show below the most popular rowing machines on the market. They are devices that you can buy online, and that has the latest news.
Whether it is an LCD screen or a heart rate monitor, you will find the most suitable device for your needs in this guide. Next, we show the rowing machines of most interest to users.
Enjoy A Video
Rank #1: Sunny Health & Fitness Incline Full Motion Rowing Machine
Specially designed for rowing at home, it is the best-selling machine on the net. It has adjustable resistances in three levels so that you can measure the progression of your workouts. It is compact, made of steel, and also foldable. Its unfolded dimensions are 65 x 43.5 x 185 cm. Very stable, it weighs 16 kilograms (kg).
The appliance supports a maximum load of 110 kg. It has wheels for easy transfer. It also includes a DVD with instructions and a user manual. The LCD screen collects training data. Saddle adjustable in three positions and very easy to assemble. It has good reviews from users and an unbeatable price.
Rank #2: XTERRA Fitness ERG700 Rower
Made of aluminum, its magnetoresistance has eight adjustable levels. Ideal for both beginners and professionals. It is silent and has a 15-degree incline. This graduation allows cardio and resistance exercises, not to involve the joints. It is foldable and very easy to assemble at home.
The machine includes a heart rate belt and an LCD screen to monitor your entire workout. Also, it is compatible with a sports application for Smartphones and tablets. Supports 100 kg. Its dimensions are 160 x 45 x 89.5 cm, and its approximate weight is around 21.5 kg. It’s sturdy and great value for money.
Rank #3: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine
Oriented for beginners Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine has up to 5 levels of resistance and has magnetic resistance. Its dimensions are 53 x 46.5 x 152.5 cm, it is foldable, weighing 22 kg. It is robust, reliable, and its traction system is made of poly fiber. This last feature makes it very quiet. The design is innovative and features a folding paddle.
The device supports a maximum weight of 120 kg. It has an LCD screen that informs you about the total accumulated distance. Also, it offers you data on calories consumed or your training pace. Robust, with very good finishes on the saddle, handlebars, or footrest. It is a medium-high range and has a very good price for its features.
Rank #4: HCI Fitness Prorower RX-750 Water Rowing Machine
High-quality articles and aimed at beginners, although ex-professionals also use it for their training. It has hydraulic resistance that can be leveled manually. It is made of steel and has rubbers to ensure its stability. The dimensions are 124 x 72 x 32 cm, but please note that it cannot be folded.
The device weighs only 16 kg and is quite quiet. Light and very compact, its structure is very solid. It is suitable for people up to 1.75 cm tall. It has an instruction manual in English. On the other hand, it has an LCD screen to monitor the exercise. Assembly is easy and has an unbeatable price.
Rank #5: Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5639 Full Motion Rowing Machine
High-end rowing machine, aimed at professionals and people looking for maximum quality and performance. The brake is magnetic and has 16 levels of resistance, which you can control via the LCD monitor. The screen is compatible with sports applications for Smartphones and tablets. 12 training programs. It can be folded.
This state-of-the-art machine includes 4 HRC functions for heart rate-based exercises. The dimensions are 83 x 57 x 200 cm, and the device weighs around 32.5 kg. Supports up to 120 kg of weight. It has wheels for transport and manual in English. Winner at rudergeraete-test.org. Powerful and of superior quality.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Rowing Machines
There are countless models of rowing machines. You have to take into account its characteristics and your objectives when selecting one. And it is not the same if you are a beginner or an advanced user. Also, everything will depend on your budget. Next, we show you the most frequent questions among users.
Rowing is an excellent exercise for the shoulders and back.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Rowing Machines
What is a rowing machine, and what other names are used to designate it?
Rowing machines are also known as ergometers or rowing machines. They are devices that appear to be traction exerted on the oars in the water, and their objective is training. The home appliance, like the gym machines, derives from the traditional rowing machine. As you can imagine, it is practiced in small boats and by canoe.
Did you know that today, the sports discipline of traditional rowing still exists? Moreover, in Spain, regattas are regularly held throughout the national geography.
What are resistance wheels on rowing machines?
Current rowing machines have resistors that are under the handlebars. They are called resistance, or inertia, flywheels, and are sometimes placed right in front of the handlebars. They allow the subject to exert force to pull “on the oars.”
There are several kinds of resistance flyers, as we will see below.
It uses pistons hydraulically. The pistons are the ones that mark the resistance and the handlebars are fixed
They use closed tanks of water to give the sensation of rowing in a natural way and the resistance is adjusted according to how “row”
They work with a flywheel, the resistance adjusts to your strength and frequency when rowing
Use electromagnets to create resistance, suitable for people with experience
What are the benefits of using a rowing machine at home?
Rowing is a general endurance sport activity. The reason is that you work both the lower and upper body areas at the same time. Also, if you use the rowing machine correctly, you won’t damage your joints. Its benefits are many, as you can see in the following list:
- It is ideal for muscle reconstruction. If you’ve had an injury, rowing will help you regenerate muscles and increase strength. It is usually recommended as a rehabilitation.
- Generate cardiovascular exercise. When you work so many muscles, you benefit your heart. The most positive thing about this aspect is that a lot of intensity is not necessary.
- It can be a complementary training. If you participate in competitions but are out of season, you can train without leaving home. In this way, it becomes a great complimentary workout.
- There is no joint impact. So you will not damage the hip or knee joints. Also, it strengthens the bones, so it is perfect.
Rowing as a sport was born in the seventeenth century when the English introduced it as a sport.
What muscles do we work with rowing machines?
Rowing machines or rowing machines offer a comprehensive workout. You work no less than 80 percent of the muscles in your body. With the rowing, you strengthen your cardiovascular system, lose weight, reduce stress, and tone muscles. And also, there is no joint impact. Let’s see in the following table which muscles it works:
Biceps, triceps and delts (located on the shoulders)
Quadriceps, glutes and hamstrings (located on the back of the upper leg)
Abdominals, oblique and erector spinae (found in the lower back)
Rhomboids (they are between the shoulder blades and the spine), latissimus dorsi muscle and trapezius (it sits on the latissimus dorsi muscle)
How do you use rowing machines to avoid injury?
It is essential that you use the proper technique in the execution of the movement of the rowing machines. With these devices you work the whole body, but it is convenient to be aware of the movements of the upper and lower area. In the following table, we show you how you should perform the exercises according to the body hemispheres.
1. When you sit down, your knees should be slightly bent. Do not reach the maximum extension or you will hurt yourself
1. If you want to work this area well, stand with your knees extended, elbows extended at the level of the sternum and lean slightly back
2. Place your upper area slightly back. Do not think about flexing the thoracic, lumbar and cervical areas. Get used to the idea of ”breastfeeding” to avoid it
2. Second, push forward with ankles, hips, and knees. Remember to take your heels off the pedals
3. Look straight ahead and don’t raise your shoulders. Elbows bent and hands pointing towards your sternum
3. It is crucial that in this part of the exercise you exert force by flexing your lower part forward and backward. Do not forget that the heels should not be glued to the supports of the pedals
If you intend to buy a rowing machine, there are several important aspects that you should consider. If you are not very tall, any rowing machine will do, but not if you are taller than 1.80 cm. The same goes for weight. Let’s see below what are the criteria that you must follow before purchasing a device.
- Weight and height
- Type of resistance
- Flywheel weight (or resistance)
- Type of use
Weight and height
As we mentioned at the beginning of this section, it is important to check for what weight and height the device are recommended. Generally, the specifications include the maximum weight supported. Furthermore, if the rowing machine is to be used by several users, it will be essential to have a good structure. It’s better to prevent than to cure!
Before buying, check that you have enough space to store your rowing machine. Most appliances are foldable in an L shape, but their dimensions are different when unfolded. Take this aspect into account so as not to encounter unpleasant surprises. It is not going to be that they do not change the product.
The oar served in principle as a means of transportation, both in Ancient Egypt and in Greece.
Type of resistance
There are different rowing machines, generally classified by endurance wheels. As if you were paddling in the water, there are magnetic, hydraulic, air, and water wheels to create resistance. Next, we show you its advantages and disadvantages so that you understand it better.
- Hydraulic resistance: It uses pistons hydraulically, and the pistons are the ones that mark the resistance. The handlebars are fixed. That is, they are not adjustable.
- Water resistance: They use closed tanks of water to rowing in a natural way. The resistance is adjusted according to “remes,” like the air resistance. They weigh a lot when incorporating water tanks.
- Air resistance: They work with an inertia flywheel. Resistance adjusts to your strength and frequency when rowing (or pulling the handlebar). You cannot adjust the resistance manually.
- Magnetic resistance: Uses electromagnets to create resistance. You can adjust it to your preferences, and you can measure the resistance through the LCD monitor.
Flywheel weight (or resistance)
The weight of the resistance flywheel is not a trivial matter. The exercise will be more like natural rowing when it is heavier. Therefore, the flywheel must be strong and robust. For reference, the flywheel of an acceptable rowing machine weighs between 6 and 9 kilograms (kg).
The wear of a rowing machine is very high, so quality is a fundamental criterion. Parts can be very expensive and hard to come by, so it’s better to invest than be sorry. Good finishes and quality materials are essential elements before purchasing a rowing machine. Do not neglect this criterion.
Current rowing machines include a series of accessories that can be very useful. Among them are heart rate monitors or pulse sensors. But also, it is common to find a console or LCD screen. In the following list, we expose the benefits of each of these accessories, which will guide you during your training:
- Heart rate monitor: Measure your pulse in real-time. You know the impact of exercise on your body, and you will be able to adjust the resistance programs to your goals.
- LCD screens: They give you information on calories consumed, duration of exercise, or several strokes, for example. Some consoles have training programs designed by professional trainers. They can be activated to follow a specific workout, build a muscle group, or lose fat.
Did you know that on high-end LCD screen devices, you can even compete in Internet races with other users?
Type of use
It is not the same if the user you are going to give the device is intense or sporadic. If you need to train, you will require a robust and stable rowing machine not to deteriorate very quickly. You can take into account, as a reference, that sporadic use is between 3 and 7 hours a week. The durability of the device is key.
Home rowing machines are the best way to train without leaving the house. Thanks to technological advances, today, we have high-quality devices at a very affordable price. Generally, they include modern LCD screens to monitor your exercise and not take any risk.
There are several types of rowing machines, but without a doubt, magnetic rowing machines are the most advisable if you are looking to train regularly. Your pocket will notice it in the short term, but you will realize that you have made a good investment over time. If you want to get some exercise, go for hydraulics. You will not regret it.
If you liked the article, leave a comment, or share it on social networks with your loved ones.